I suppose I could rant here about all the attention (and investment) given to infotainment devices and various other IT toys, but I will decline. Since I understand why. It is far more interesting to talk about the latest Apple toy than about some energy efficiency improvement. I bought an iPad for my mother this spring and boy was it slick! Oh well.
As a practical matter, I don't have anything in the pipeline to report on. The system remodel we did was one of those relationship-threatening jobs that people talk about. Now I know they really exist. The results actually look pretty good, though we did miss a couple things. But I am not about to put them in. I have sunk enough money in this house and irritated The Lovely Wife too much. I have a few small items:
- Reinsulate the solar thermal tank with aerogel.
- Insulate the HRV system because the architect screwed up and put them in uninsulated space. Probably I'll do some temperature measurements first to make sure more insulation is required.
- Maybe put in some quieter exhaust fans in the bathroom and laundry room with humidity sensors.
- Maybe put in a 220V timer on the hot tub, so I don't have to manually turn it off and on.
- Maybe put in a solar thermal energy monitoring system, so I can get data on how much energy the solar thermal system is generating.
So...in the immortal words of Douglas Adams: